How can I change a pub or restaurant to a takeaway?

The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) (Amendment) Order 2020 came into force on 24 March 2020. This inserted a new Class DA for a time limited (temporary) change of use from:

Class A3 (restaurants and cafes); Class A4 (drinking establishments; mixed use for any purposes with Class A3 and Class A4; or use as a drinking establishment with expanded food provision as defined in Class AA.  To:

Use for the provision of takeaway food.

This change of use applied from 24 March 2020 – 23 March 2021.  This has now been extended to 23 March 2022.

An applicant must notify the local planning authority if the building and any land within its curtilage is being used, or will be used, for the provision of takeaway food.

The use of the building and any land within its curtilage will revert to its previous lawful use at the end of the relevant period or, if earlier, when the applicant ceases to provide takeaway food under Class DA.

Whilst this provision has been made in the planning process, care should also be taken to ensure that conditions on your planning permission do not prohibit this change; and conditions on a lease do not prohibit this proposed use.

Further changes to the Use Classes Order come into effect on 1 September 2020.

Please contact us for further assistance.