New Permitted Development rights for the change from Class E uses to dwellings has now been published.

In September 2020 Use Class E (Commercial, Business and Service) was introduced.  This includes:

  • E(a) Display or retail sale of goods, other than hot food
  • E(b) Sale of food and drink for consumption (mostly) on the premises
  • E(c) Provision of:
    • E(c)(i) Financial services,
    • E(c)(ii) Professional services (other than health or medical services), or
    • E(c)(iii) Other appropriate services in a commercial, business or service locality
  • E(d) Indoor sport, recreation or fitness (not involving motorised vehicles or firearms)
  • E(e) Provision of medical or health services (except the use of premises attached to the residence of the consultant or practitioner)
  • E(f) Creche, day nursery or day centre (not including a residential use)
  • E(g) Uses which can be carried out in a residential area without detriment to its amenity:
    • E(g)(i) Offices to carry out any operational or administrative functions,
    • E(g)(ii) Research and development of products or processes
    • E(g)(iii) Industrial processes

On 31 March 2021 the government announced further changes to the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (“the GPDO”) including the introduction of a new class of permitted development (“Class MA”), being a right to change the use of premises from commercial, business or service purposes (Class E) to use as dwellinghouses (Class C3).

This has increased the scope for a Material Change of Use of an existing building to residential use subject to submission of a prior approval application and provided the relevant conditions can be met.  More details of the limitations and conditions can be found here.

An application for prior approval for development under Class MA may not be made before 1 August 2021. This will superceed the existing Class M pemitted development rights which will cease on 31st July 2021.

If we can assist with your buildings or for more information regarding prior approval applications please contact us.